Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of test delivery in Blackboard. When students use this browser, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading. This browser can be used on on a student’s personal computer or at the university’s Academic Testing Lab. For a complete list of features and demonstrations, visit the Respondus web site.
It’s a good practice to do a sample test using this browser to prepare the students in advance. More information for students can be found at Respondus Lockdown Browser Student Guide.
Steps for Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser for an Assessment
1. Go to Control Panel> Course Tools and click on the Respondus Lockdown Browser Link.
2. On the next screen click on the down-arrow next to the exam you want to enable the browser for, and choose Modify Settings.
3. Click the radio button for Require Lockdown Browser for this Exam.
4. The Password Settings allows you to set a password for the test. If you use this option, make sure you share the password with the testing center manager.
5. After you have completed these steps you will see Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser added to the test title.
6. Adding this browser will generate a password which appears under Test Options. This password is only needed to keep the browser active. Students do not need this password to take the exam. DO NOT uncheck, remove, or change the password since that will cause an error.
7. . If you see the word “Error” beside the name of an exam in the Respondus Lockdown Browser Dashboard screen, click on Fix Settings to clear the error.
8. At any time, you can turn off the Lockdown Browser by selecting Modify Settings> Don’t require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam.